Why I Think Rin Takanashi is Overrated


I would like to discuss about how I think Rin Takanashi is already overrated as an actress.  So she's one of my favorites, she does her job to the best of her ability but there's a HUUUUUUUUGE difference between appreciation and overrating.  Appreciating means recognizing one's full worth.  Overrating means giving too much credit even when the person doesn't deserve it.  I'll point out some of her weaknesses as an actress which even I failed to see, but I grew to accept them as well.  This is just an editorial but I'm stating some facts too, at least to defend my opinion on why I think she's overrated even if she's in my favorites.  I wrote this editorial in response to ThatChick's latest entry: (read here).  Also I got inspired to write this LOOOOONG ago by Mr. Smith (read here) but I just needed somebody to show her opinion (not fact) to get things going.


So let's take a look back at her role as Mako the character that got her into bigger projects (which is ironic, most Sentai cast members don't get that far).  She did appear in Goth and had a guest star role in Rookies prior to that but Shinkenger was her major premiere.  She was 21 years old that time.  It's highly possible the male audience liked her for the wrong reasons.  I would admit she is really hot but that's NOT a good reason to like anybody. I mean, liking a nice person who has a nice appearance just for their nice appearance is utterly shallow.  Rin Takanashi was able to carry out Mako as far as civilian scenes are concerned, rather well but not Oscar-worthy.

Mako may be one of my favorite pink rangers but she's definitely not at the top honorable. She may be in my top ten (which is subject to change) but if I'm to talk of pink rangers that stand out, here's my list.  I'd have Momoko in Maskman, Mei in Zyuranger, Lin in Dairanger, Haruna of Turboranger, Kasumi of Fiveman and Yuuri in Timeranger (I'm just biased, she reminds me of one girl I dated and regret using!).  Reiko Chiba, Kanako Maeda and Natsuki Takahashi were able to pull off a lot of scenes themselves.  I was even thinking if Mako had to endure being beaten by a monster of suit, she'd be dead by now!  Momoko survived Kotsuhi/Cranium Dobler, Kasumi was able to survive Queen Killer, Yuuri really knows how to fight, Mei has fought many times suitless and so has Lin but Mako hardly does that!  What is often ignored is that she's not all that awesome as I used to think.  Also she's not all that awesome either.


What is probably often (and purposely) ignored is that she's not great with fighting scenes.  She's not all that great with fighting, maybe explaining why most of her acting projects aren't action movies.  One might consider Nao Nagasawa or Ayumi Kinoshita, now they are definitely HK action movies worthy.  But Rin Takanashi?  As much as I like her as an actress but I would definitely not bet a nickel on her if she fought against Nao Nagasawa or Ayumi Kinoshita.

Also in episode 34, do observe that Rin Takanashi doesn't do most fight scenes, the stunt double was the one doing the fight scene with Akumaro!  Yet she gets popular anyway never mind that while she's not bad, she can improve but she isn't the type to stand out.  I would also dare say she is NOT qualified for Japan Action Enterprise.  If you want to cast her as a police officer, she would be more of Jules in Flashpoint rather than be like those badass female police roles done by the likes Gillian Chung, Charlene Choi, Ayumi Kinoshita or Nao Nagasawa.  I mean most of Mako's fight scenes are Shinken Pink fight scenes, not Mako outside the suit!


When I think about her acting career, she has done better not being in action based roles and I wasn't impressed with her short fight scenes in the Kamen Rider W movie.  If I am to talk about which show had her better performance between Shinkenger or Houkago Groove, I'd say Houkago Groove.  Her character in Houkago Groove as Makoto Kiryu suits her better than Mako Shiraishi.  I would admit while she does have an aura of innocence (but she acted out that slut Arisa Yamauchi pretty fine), but it's not like as of she's the only one.  I mean there's more than just here... take note of that.  And I was even thinking that her role as Hisae in Killers could still be given to others like Erika Toda, Maaya Uchida or Mao Inoue.  I guess she took the role and was accepted but I still think Erika Toda is a better actress over her.

It's okay to admire her but to overrate her is not okay, it's comparable to Spike's crush on the Pink Ranger in PR Samurai, fortunately he and Mako never met in any canon setting!  Unfortunately it seems some members of her fanbase have taken admiration to a whole new unhealthy level and I did at one point (RED-HANDED).

Comments