The Late Anita Mui's "Faithfully" Cantonese Cover and Jolin Tsai's Cover of "Won't Last A Day Without You"

It's hard for me not to look at the late Anita Mui and Jolin Tsai without remembering the comparisons. Anita was called the Madonna of Asia. Jolin was once called the Britney of Asia. Sadly, they never met and Anita left us too soon on December 30, 2003. I thought about finding Anita's cover of the American song "Faithfully" by Journey, in Cantonese.

I thought about Anita's rather deep contralto voice -- something that made her stand out too much. That may be one of the reasons why I preferred listening to Anita's songs vs. Jolin's songs. A strange irony that I became a fan of her months after she passed away from cervical cancer. Well, I only started listening to the late Teresa Teng after listening to F4. How strange can that be?

Here's Jolin Tsai singing "Won't Last a Day Without You". This isn't to bring her down. Jolin does a good job, brings the emotions needed, but I feel Anita has a totally different feel. 

Both sang slow songs at their own merit. However, I felt that Anita managed to do a rare mastery better than Jolin ever did. However, that never made me stop thinking that Jolin, not Louise Wong, should've played Anita. Sadly, behind Anita's unique voice was the sad story of child exploitation by her OWN MOTHER. 

Comments